SAN DIEGO (KUSI) - Sunday the 20th could be the last game the Chargers play in Qualcomm Stadium, ending a 50 year history of NFL football in San Diego.
The league said on January 4th teams can file for relocation and the Chargers have said they will be filing. But filing doesn't mean they're moving.
Eight days after that window opens the owners will meet in Houston where the pivotal vote is expected, deciding which team(s) will be allowed to move to LA.
Colts owner Jim Irsay and several other owners, and the commissioner, want the decision to be made as soon as possible.
How that vote goes will depend on whether the owners get a recommendation from the LA committee. That recommendation will carry weight with the majority of owners who have not been personally involved in this process, and could determine which site, Inglewood or Carson, is selected.
Here are the options coming out of the January meeting:
- There will not be a decision, in which case look for another meeting after the Super Bowl. - They could put off discussion until the league's annual meeting in late March. - They could delay LA for another year.
Here are the scenarios if they decide there will be a football team in LA next season:
- The Chargers-Raiders application is approved for relocation. - Either the Chargers or the Rams get approval to relocate. - Or some combination of the Rams-Chargers or Rams-Raiders gets approval.
The consensus is there will be two teams moving, not one.
Tickets sales for Sunday's game are similar to most, so fans flooding the stadium for what could possibly be the last NFL game at Qualcomm Stadium is not expected.
Meanwhile, Mayor Kevin Faulconer and Supervisor Ron Roberts met with Dean Spanos last month, no break through there. The mayor will meet with Houston owner Bob McNair this week.