SAN DIEGO (KUSI) - 8:50 p.m. - Mayor Kevin Faulconer released the following statement after the Chargers announced they had filed for relocation with the NFL:
"San Diego developed a fair stadium proposal and a plan to hold a special election by the NFL's deadline, but the Chargers' owner walked away from the table. The more San Diego has done the less engaged the Chargers have become. San Diegans deserve better.
This announcement isn't a surprise, but it's still disappointing for generations of San Diego Chargers fans. Our city is the rightful home to the Bolts. We believe the viable stadium plan we've presented to the NFL should be cause for keeping the Chargers in their hometown."
7:15 p.m. - The San Diego Chargers officially filed for relocation with the NFL late Monday evening.
“I just want to say that this has been probably the single most difficult decision that I have ever made, and our family has ever made, in business. I promise you, it wasn’t an easy decision to come to," said Chairman of the Board Dean Spanos in an interview with Chargers.com.
Spanos said that over 25 percent of their business comes from Riverside County, Orange County and the Los Angeles County area and another team in that area would have a significant impact on them.
"I think that is what really was the catalyst that got this whole thing going because when the Rams decided to make their move there, this was a move to protect our business more than anything," Spanos said.
When asked if the team was looking forward to leaving San Diego, Spanos said they have never wanted to leave.
"Why would you want to leave San Diego? ... It’s really been the inability of the city at the political level to get any kind of public funding or any kind of a vote to help subsidize a stadium."
Team owners will meeting in Houston next week and the committee on Los Angeles will met in New York City Wednesday and Thursday to evaluate the latest stadium plans and make its recommendations on a stadium site and possibly which teams meet the relocation guidelines.
The NFL also confirmed Monday the Oakland Raiders and the St. Louis Rams filed for relocation.
The NFL released the following statement Monday:
"Three teams - the Oakland Raiders, St. Louis Rams, and San Diego Chargers - each submitted applications to our office today to relocate their franchises to the Los Angeles area beginning with the 2016 season. Each team submitted the appropriate documentation in support of its application as required by the NFL Policy and Procedures for Proposed Franchise Relocations.
The applications will be reviewed this week by league staff and three league committees that will meet in New York on Wednesday and Thursday -- the Los Angeles Opportunities, Stadium, and Finance committees. The applications will be presented for consideration at next week's league meeting in Houston on Tuesday and Wednesday. The relocation of a franchise requires the affirmative vote of three-quarters of the NFL clubs (24 of 32)."
6:00 p..m. - The NFL has taken a big step in the process to get to Los Angeles.
On Monday, it opened a window that allows teams that want to move to apply for relocation and all three teams - The Chargers, the Rams and Raiders - were expected to apply.
Apparently nobody has filed yet despite the heightened expectations.
The NFL has not confirmed a team has made it's intentions public.
The window will remain open until February 15.
Last week, the cities sent the league their final stadium proposals, except for Oakland which sent a letter on its latest efforts to get a stadium.
Next week, the owners will meet in Houston and they could begin to make some major decisions.
One is choosing Inglewood or Carson as the best stadium site, another is which teams can move.
NFL.com is reporting the league will help the team that gets left out secure a new stadium in their home market.
In advance of the owners meeting in Houston on the 12th, the committee on Los Angeles will met in New York City Wednesday and Thursday to evaluate the latest stadium plans and make its recommendations on a stadium site and possibly which teams meet the relocation guidelines.
Their recommendations will carry great influence on how the owners not involved in the process will vote.
No team, as yet, has the 24 votes necessary to get approval to relocate.
It's possible an impasse could serve to be a catalyst for negotiations among the three teams to settle this amongst themselves.
A settlement would result in two teams going to L.A. to either the Inglewood site or Carson.
It could be any combination of the three teams.
If the Chargers cannot move, for example, here's how the league might help the team's effort in San Diego:
One unofficial report said you take $200 million from the relocation fee and give it to the Chargers, doubling the league's contribution to $400 million.
When added to the team's $353 million contribution, that's $753 million towards a San Diego stadium.
The city and county would add another $350 million and with $187 million from personal seat licenses, the total is $1.3 billion.
The question is would this satisfy the concerns of Dean Spanos to stay in San Diego?
Probably not, because of the uncertainty of a vote. If you lose at the ballot box in June, you've created a $350 million hole in your stadium plan.
Under this scenario, the Chargers would end up with no stadium in San Diego and they could lose their option in Carson.
Their deal in Carson expires in April.
4575 Viewridge Ave. San Diego, CA 92123