Stadium Watch: Chargers vs. Chris Cate - KUSI News - San Diego, CA

Stadium Watch: Chargers vs. Chris Cate

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — The Chargers have gone to social media to push back at opponents of their downtown stadium project.

The team purchased an ad on Facebook and Twitter directed at Council Member Chris Cate.

He and others have been publicly saying the downtown stadium is a bad deal for San Diego.

In addition to the ads, the council member's office has been inundated with ROBO calls asking why he wants the Chargers to leave San Diego.

The council member answered the ad on social media and on Good Morning San Diego.

"I don't want the Chargers to leave San Diego and I just disagree with the plan that they put forward. I think there's just way too much risk to taxpayers in the plan that they've developed," he said.

The ad says, "Why does Chris Cate want the Chargers to leave San Diego? Please call and ask him!" Then it list's his office phone number.

Cate responded on Twitter by saying, "Curious move by @chargers to spend $$$ attacking me instead of getting voters to support their measure."

Cate said his office got a couple hundreds calls over the last week or some, some agreeing with him, others not.

"We all want to become engaged and involved. Some calls have been a little more personal but nonetheless we respect their decisions and hopefully they respect where we're coming from and why we're opposing this initiative," he said.

The Chargers said they've been buying the ads to educate folks that Cate wants to send the Chargers packing to LA.

Cate said he's simply raising red flags about the risk to taxpayers in the Chargers Initiative. He said the city is on the hook to provide parking spaces for the Padres if a stadium is built.

And if the estimated revenues from increased hotel taxes do not pan out, the taxpayers have to make up the difference.

"There are way too many risks in this initiative for our liking and where the city stands if this measure were to pass," Cate said.

What if it fails? The Chargers could go to Los Angeles. 

But Cate said not necessarily.

"I think there could be a discussion and a dialogue that occurs between the city and the Chargers. That should have happened last year when the Mayor was putting forth his idea, we wanted to work with the Chargers, the Chargers said no, thank you," he said.

Cate said this discussion could occur after November if the Chargers are willing.

"That's up to decisions by the Chargers and we've seen what types of decisions they've had in the past whether its personally attacking the mayor for his efforts or now personally attack me for what I'm doing," he said.

Wednesday morning the Chargers will release an economic study on their stadium initiative.

  • KUSI.com Feedback Form

    Questions or suggestions about this story? Message KUSI News below:

    * denotes required fields
    We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.

    Thanks for your feedback.  We value your opinion!

MOST POPULAR SAN DIEGO NEWS

Stories
Videos
loading...

MOST POPULAR SAN DIEGO NEWS

Stories
Videos
loading...
  • SAN DIEGO WEATHER Supercast

  • Sign up here for breaking news email alerts

    * denotes required fields

    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.

Powered by Frankly

KUSI News

4575 Viewridge Ave. San Diego, CA 92123
Newsroom: 858-571-NEWS (6397)
Turko Files: 858-571-FILE (3453)
Business offices: 858-571-5151

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 KUSI. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.