2 San Diego police officers shot in College Area shooting have been identified

SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – One of two police officers wounded over in a weekend shootout, which left a suspect dead in a College-area apartment, went home today to continue recuperating, police said.

Dan Bihum, an 18-year veteran of the San Diego Police Department, was discharged from a trauma center two days after he and fellow patrolman Francisco Roman were shot while trying to enter a Rolando Court residence in response to an emergency call.

Finding themselves under attack, Roman and a third officer returned fire. The suspected assailant, 28-year-old Joe M. Darwish, was later found dead inside his rental residence. Roman, a three-year department member, remained hospitalized this afternoon in stable condition, Lt. Anthony Dupree said. The events that led to the exchange of gunfire began about 10:15 p.m. Saturday, when a loud and violent-sounding dispute was reported in a neighborhood just southeast of San Diego State University.

As officers were trying to contact any occupants of the apartment where the disturbance had occurred, they noticed the smell of something burning. Getting no response from anyone in the residence and believing there might be a fire starting, the patrol personnel made entry and were immediately met with gunfire, Dupree said. Roman and Officer Shawn Boggeman shot back before retreating and seeking help for the wounded patrolmen.

Medics took Bihum and Roman to hospitals, where they were admitted in stable condition. A SWAT team, meanwhile, was summoned to take up positions around Darwish’s apartment and prepare to enter it forcibly, if necessary. After several hours, the special weapons and tactics personnel stormed into the residence and found Darwish dead. It was not immediately clear if he had succumbed to police gunfire or if he might have shot himself.

Darwish had a “criminal history,” and police had responded to incidents at his apartment “numerous times over the last several years,” SDPD Chief David Nisleit told reporters.

San Diego Police have identified the suspect and two officers wounded in Saturday’s College Area shooting. The San Diego Police Department Press Release can be read below.

On Saturday June 23, 2018, at about 10:16 p.m., uniformed San Diego Police
Officers responded to a radio call of a violent disturbance in the 4800 block of Rolando Ct.
Officers attempted to contact the subject at his apartment. As the officers were at the front
door, they could smell something burning coming from inside the location. Fire Fighters
were called to the location to evaluate for a fire.

After getting no response at the front door, Officers and Fire Fighters made entry to the
apartment to check for a possible fire. Once the front door opened, the officers and Fire
Fighters were met with gun fire. The officers returned fire and exited the apartment. Two
San Diego Police officers were struck with gun fire and were transported to local hospitals.
One officer is in serious but stable condition and the other officer is in stable condition.
Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) personnel arrived at the scene and eventually made
entry into the apartment and located the suspect inside deceased.

The two officers injured have been identified as Francisco Roman, a 3-year veteran (in
stable condition at a local hospital), and Dan Bihum, a 18-year veteran (Released from the
hospital today) of the San Diego Police Department. Officers Roman and Officer Shawn
Boggeman, a 4-year veteran of the San Diego Police Department, returned fire. All officers
are assigned to Eastern Division.

The suspect has been identified as 28-year old Joe M. Darwish of San Diego.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call the Homicide Unit at (619)
531-2293 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477.

KUSI has confirmed that the following images are of the shooter, Joe M. Darwish.

Original Story (June 24, 8:17 AM) – 

Two police officers were shot and wounded, one seriously, in a standoff at a College Area condominium that left the suspect dead Sunday.

One officer, a three-year veteran of the department, was listed in serious, but stable condition. The second officer, an 18- year veteran of the department, was listed in stable condition.

Both men are expected to survive their injuries, said San Diego police chief David Nisleit during a 7:30 a..m. news conference at police headquarters.

Officers were dispatched about 10:15 p.m. Saturday to 4860 Rolando Court, Nisleit said, in response to a “violent disturbance” call.

“Officers got there and knocked on the door and got no response,” he said. “But at that time, smelled what they thought was fire.”  Officers requested the fire department.

“Officers made a decision to open the door. Before they did that they, though, they knocked on the door and asked the occupant to respond.

“There was no response so the officers opened the door,” he continued. “Upon opening the door, they were met by gunfire.”

It was unclear if the suspect, who was found dead inside the apartment, was struck by police gunfire, Nisleit said. Two of three officers there shot their guns.

“It is believed that he was probably lighting something on fire, but until we get inside and take a look at the apartment, we do not fully know that,” said Nisleit, adding that the caller to police “heard cursing being thrown about” possibly to a female.

A SWAT team had continued to confront the barricaded suspect in a standoff that lasted more than two hours. “We had to do quite a few evacuations,” Nisleit said.

Several residents from the nearby Tuscany Place apartment complex were evacuated during the standoff, but were allowed to return as of 2 a.m.

Nisleit said the department’s Homicide Unit was — at 7:30 a.m. — still waiting for a judge to approve a search warrant for the home.

Two Homicide Unit teams were at the location, said San Diego police Capt, Mike Hastings.

“This will be a long process throughout the day — maybe into the evening,” the police chief said.

Nisleit said the suspect has a “criminal history” and that police have response to the location “numerous times over the last several years.”

The name of the suspect will be released pending notification of next of kin, he said.

Categories: Local San Diego News