Update: 760-acre brush fire burns on Camp Pendleton, 70 percent contained
SAN ONOFRE (KUSI) — 4:12 p.m. — The brush fire burning on Camp Pendleton spread to 760 acres Thursday afternoon and was 70 percent contained.
1:30 p.m. — A brush fire spread over open terrain near the far northwestern reaches of Camp Pendleton Wednesday, scorching about 700 acres by Thursday morning and threatening some homes and an animal shelter.
Firefighters worked to subdue the fire, dubbed the Cristianitos Fire, which was initially reported about 6:15 p.m. Wednesday off Cristianitos Road, near San Mateo Campground and quickly spread to San Clemente, according to Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Larry Kurtz.
It was not clear what sparked the blaze.
Update: Christiantios gate is closed not open. 700 acres 10% contained from IC. https://t.co/7jPXJgOsWW
— Camp Pendleton 75 (@MCIWPendletonCA) June 29, 2017
Over 350 military and civilian firefighters, with aircraft making water drops, worked through the night to corral the flames, which had grown to about 400 acres by 8 p.m. and 700-acres by 6 a.m. Thursday, officials said.
An animal shelter on Avenida Fabricante was threatened as were some homes on Avenida Pico in San Clemente, according to Capt. Larry Kurtz of the Orange County Fire Authority.
No structural damage or injuries had been reported as of late Thursday morning, by which time the flames had spread over a roughly 700-acre area, three quarters of it within Camp Pendleton, said USMC Capt. Brian Capt Villiard, a spokesman for the northern San Diego County military base.
The cause of the fire was under investigation, Villiard said.