Authorities: E-cigarette may have caused National City fire

NATIONAL CITY (KUSI) – An electronic cigarette may be to blame for a fire that caused about $50,000 to a home in National City, authorities said Monday.

A sofa near where the electronic smoking device was charging went up in flames inside the house on East 24th Street near K Avenue shortly after 5:30 p.m. Sunday, according to a National City police statement. Neighboring residences were evacuated.

Three people at the home at the time were able to get out, but one required treatment at the scene for smoke inhalation, police said. Fire crews were able to keep the blaze contained to the living room, police said.

Categories: KUSI