Bogus bomb threat closes two North County public schools
CARLSBAD (KUSI) – A bogus bomb threat prompted lockdowns at two adjacent North County public schools Monday.
According to Rick Grove, assistant superintendent for Carlsbad Unified School District, a student at the dual campus of Calavera Hills elementary and middle schools on Tamarack Avenue reported receiving the menacing message about 1:30 p.m.
Administrators moved all students — ranging from kindergartners to eight-graders — to a nearby secure area while police conducted a sweep of the grounds and buildings, finding nothing hazardous, Grove said.
School returned back to normal about 30 minutes after the precautionary lockdowns went into effect.
Grove declined to disclose how the threat was issued, though he said it came from off campus. He also would not specify where the children were kept during the incident.
No suspects in the crime had been identified as of late afternoon.