Chula Vista teen on the road to recovery after leg was amputated

CHULA VISTA (KUSI) — 5/19/2016 — A Chula Vista teen continues his road to recovery after doctors at Rady Children’s Hospital amputated his right leg.

Seven months ago, 14-year-old Giancarlo Gil’s life was forever changed when a life-threatening bacteria required his right leg to be amputated up to the hip.

Doctors are still unsure how the teen contracted necrotizing fasciitis.

Once a star athlete at Chula Vista High School, he now has a prosthetic leg and a passion to still play baseball.

"Sometimes I do think why this had to happen to me … but then I just move past it because everything happens for a reason," Gil said.

12/4/2015 — Fourteen-year-old Giancarlo Gil, who has been hospitalized at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego since late September, continues to make great progress from a rare-flesh eating bacterial infection that resulted in his right leg being amputated at the hip.

The teen and star baseball and football player at Chula Vista High School underwent multiple surgeries in 25 days to ensure the necrotizing fasciitis infection was no longer present.

Silvia Gil will discuss her son’s progress and take time to thank the community for its support. 

10/2/2015 — Rady Children’s Hospital announced Thursday that the Chula Vista teen battling a flesh-eating bacteria is now in serious condition, upgraded from critical.

Giancarlo Gil, 14, was admitted to the hospital almost one month ago and has undergone at least eight surgeries. 

His family released the following statement after the announcement:

"Today marks one month since Giancarlo Gil was admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego. Giancarlo is slowly making progress in his recovery. He is alert and speaking to his parents. He is listed in Serious Condition. His parents are overwhelmed with the support they continue to receive from family, friends and Giancarlo’s classmates from Chula Vista High School where he is a student."

According to Rady, Gil is awake and alert at this time. 

10/12/2015 — The Chula Vista teen battling a flesh-eating bacteria was scheduled to undergo his seventh surgery Friday night.

Giancarlo Gil, 14, became infected with the bacteria almost two weeks ago and has already lost his right leg in an attempt by doctors to stem the spread of the virus.

According to a statement released by the hospital and the boy’s mother, Silvia Gil, Giancarlo is making progress in his recovery.

"Giancarlo’s parents want to thank everyone for the support they have received from all over the country these last few days,” the statement read. "They also are thankful to everyone who donated blood on his behalf at the San Diego Blood Bank.”

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, necrotizing fasciitis is a bacterial skin infection that spreads quickly and kills the body’s soft tissue. Accurate diagnosis, prompt treatment with intravenously administered antibiotics and surgery are important to stopping the infection, which can become life-threatening in a very short amount of time.

The CDC said the occurrence of the disease is rare, even though it can be caused by several types of bacteria.

Healthy people with strong immune systems can usually avoid the disease by practicing good hygiene and proper wound care.

Dr. Wilma Wooten, the county’s public health officer, told City News Service on Tuesday that a bacteria found on the skin can lead to necrotizing fasciitis, if wounds aren’t cleansed.

She said that since 2010, 124 cases of necrotizing fasciitis have been reported in San Diego County.

A GoFundMe page for Giancarlo had raised more than $17,600 through mid-afternoon Friday, with donations from more than 300 people over five days.

10/12/2015 — A South Bay teenager being treated for flesh-eating bacteria has received more than $4,000 from a GoFundMe page. 

Giancarlo Gil, 14, has undergone six surgeries at Rady Children’s Hospital since falling ill 10 days ago, according to family friend Jesse Ortega.

Ortega said Giancarlo’s right leg was amputated below the knee last week in order to prevent the spread of the bacteria. On Monday night, the remainder of the leg was removed up to the teen’s hip, he said.

Chuy Ortega Reyna, the creator of the fundraising page, said the teen is a freshman at Chula Vista High School, where he played football and baseball.

"The road to recovery will not be an easy one physically, emotionally and financially,” Reyna wrote on the page. "His parents have taken time off of their jobs to be close to their son, but as we all know, the bills of everyday living do not stop. There will also be upcoming medical expenses that will need to be covered, including prosthetics.”

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, necrotizing fasciitis is a bacterial skin infection that spreads quickly and kills the body’s soft tissue.

Accurate diagnosis, prompt treatment with intravenously administered antibiotics and surgery are important to stopping the infection, which can become life-threatening in a very short amount of time.

The CDC said the occurrence of the disease is rare and healthy people with strong immune systems can usually avoid the disease by practicing good hygiene and proper wound care.

Dr. Wilma Wooten, the county public health officer, said a bacteria found on the skin can lead to necrotizing fasciitis, if wounds aren’t cleansed.

"It’s a rare condition,” Wooten told City News Service. "Since 2010, we’ve had 124 cases of necrotizing fasciitis” in San Diego County.

Of those patients, only three have been under the age of 17, according to Wooten.

People who get any kind of injury that breaks the skin — even as simple as a paper cut, blister or scrape — should see a doctor if the wound gets warm and/or oozes, she said.

The GoFundMe page for Giancarlo has generated more than 78 donations in two days.

The family is also asking for donations to the San Diego Blood Bank in Giancarlo’s name.

Categories: Local San Diego News