Clairemont duplex fire displaces residents, kills cat

SAN DIEGO (CNS) – A space heater possibly sparked a fire at a Clairemont-area duplex Monday that displaced three people displaced, killed a pet cat and caused about $100,000 in damage.

Two of the three residents of 4888 Clairemont Drive were home when the electrical fire broke out shortly before noon, but were able to escape uninjured, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Their three dogs also survived, as did four other cats, one of which had to be resuscitated by firefighters, according to SDFRD spokesman Lee Swanson.

Around 30 firefighters had the blaze out in about 15 minutes, Swanson said.

The American Red Cross was called in to assist the unit’s three adult residents find temporary housing. Swanson said the adjoining unit sustained light smoke damage, but its residents intended to stay put.

Investigators determined the fire was electrical, and was possibly caused by a space heater, Swanson said, adding that damage was estimated at $75,000 to the structure and $25,000 to its contents.

Categories: KUSI