Two deputies, suspect wounded in Lakeside shootout

LAKESIDE (CNS) – A shooting at an apartment complex near El Capitan High School left two deputies and a child molestation suspect wounded today.

The gunfire at Ashwood and Mapleview streets in Lakeside was reported about 12:15 p.m., according to sheriff's Capt. Duncan Fraser.

Medics took the three wounded men to Sharp Memorial and Scripps Mercy hospitals in San Diego. All three were in surgery in the late afternoon, Fraser said. Their identities and conditions were not immediately available.

A woman who identified herself as the wounded suspect's live-in girlfriend told reporters the events that led to the shooting began about 7:30 a.m., when she found cell-phone photos of him performing lewd acts with one of her two young daughters, who are not related to him.

She said she left their apartment and called the Sheriff's Department to report the child molestation allegation. Later in the morning, during a call being monitored by detectives, the suspect allegedly admitted to the crimes, claiming he had received an offer of $50,000 to post the pornographic images online.

The woman said she was still on the phone with her boyfriend when the two lawmen arrived at the couple's apartment and, a short time later, shots rang out. The mother said it sounded to her as if the 30-year-old suspect shot himself.

After the gunfire ceased, the woman heard her boyfriend announce that he was surrendering, she said.

Neighborhood resident Jodi Davis said at least a dozen gunshots sounded in rapid succession.

The nearby high school was placed on lockdown due to the shooting, said Catherine Martin, a spokeswoman for the Grossmont Union High School District. The students were allowed to leave about an hour later.

Details about the shooting remained sketchy in the late afternoon, Fraser said during a briefing at the Lakeside Rodeo grounds.

Detectives were canvassing the area and interviewing numerous witnesses, the captain told reporters.

Categories: KUSI