Documented gang member facing 190 years to life in prison

SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — Kidnapping, carjacking and assault on a deputy, all in one day. A San Diego gang member appeared before a judge Wednesday to learn about the charges against him.

Joseph Martin Ramos, 35, pleaded not guilty to charges of burglary, carjacking, kidnapping and being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm.

Ramos was fleeing from police and ended up holding a family at gunpoint, before pointing a gun in an officer’s face.

Just after 2:30 p.m., deputies were on Orchard Wood Road in the city of Encinitas when they saw Joseph Ramos. They recognized Ramos as a documented gang member, who was also wanted in connection with a string of residential burglaries where several guns had been stolen. Deputies attempted to contact Ramos but before they could do so, he got into a black truck and sped off.

Deputies followed and a short pursuit ensued. Deputies quickly saw that speeds and road conditions were too dangerous to continue the pursuit so they decided to deescalate the situation. Pursuing deputies terminated the pursuit and followed Ramos at a distance.

Ramos drove to the intersection of Rancho Santa Fe Road and Manchester in the city of Encinitas. There he abandoned his black truck and ran into a nearby parking lot. In the parking lot, Ramos confronted a 27 year-old man who was buckling his 7 year-old son into his car seat.

According to the victim, Ramos pointed to a handgun in his waistband and demanded that the victim drive him away from the area. The victim complied and with his 7 year-old son in the back seat drove Ramos from the area in his silver 2-door Scion.

During the drive, according to the victim, Ramos took the gun from his waistband and pointed it at him several times.

Deputies were able to eventually catch up to the Scion a short time later.

Deputies pulled the car over in the 1500 block of North Coast Highway 101. When the Scion came to a stop, according to the victim of the carjacking and kidnapping, Ramos pointed the gun at both he and his son then exited the car with the gun still drawn. One of the responding deputies saw the gun pointed at him and fired multiple shots.

Ramos ran a short distance and fell to the ground, where he was taken into custody.

Categories: Local San Diego News