Suspect behind Brussels train station explosion dead, incident being treated as terror attack

BRUSSELS (KUSI) — 11:00 p.m. — The suspect behind the explosion at a Brussels train station is dead, according to a spokeswoman for the Brussels prosecutor’s office.

According to the Associated Press, Belgian authorities foiled a "terror attack" when they shot the suspect.

Prosecutor’s spokeswoman Ine Van Wymersch said the man had been lying still since soldiers shot him. She said medics were unable to attend to him for several hours out of fear he could be carrying explosives.

The incident is being treated as an act of terror. 

1:00 p.m. — The main square in Brussels has been evacuated following reports of loud explosions at a train station nearby.

Belgian media outlets were reporting an explosion occurred at the city’s Central station Tuesday. It was unclear what caused the blast.

Firefighters and police officers were on scene and the train station as well as the nearby Grand Square, a popular tourist destination, were evacuated.

Brussels police tweeted that “the situation was under control.” No other information was provided.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Categories: Local San Diego News