Family says store-bought rat killed son

SAN DIEGO (CNS) – A San Diego family is suing Petco, saying their 10-year-old son died from a bacterial infection contracted from his pet rat, which
was purchased at a Carmel Mountain Ranch store.

Aidan Pankey died June 12 from streptobacillus monilformis infection,
commonly known as rat-bite fever, according to the San Diego County Medical
Examiner's Office. The pet rat in question was purchased two weeks earlier to
serve as a companion to a rat Aidan already owned.

The wrongful death lawsuit against Petco was not filed until Monday in
San Diego Superior Court because the family was waiting for lab results from
the federal Centers for Disease Control, family attorney John Gomez told
reporters. He said the CDC concluded that the rat was infected, though the
agency did not immediately confirm the claim publicly.

In the lawsuit, Aidan's parents, Andrew Pankey and Vanessa Sauer, allege
that Petco did not adequately test the rat for the disease and did not post
adequate warnings about the potential risks to children.

In a statement, Petco said it was “deeply saddened” by the death and
it takes the Pankey family's concerns “very seriously.”

Rat-bite fever can be treated with antibiotics and is rarely fatal,
according to the CDC.

Categories: KUSI