February is National Children’s Dental Health Month
Dr. Parvathi Pokala, Pediatric Dentist from Rady Children’s Hospital joined Good Morning San Diego to talk about National Children’s Dental Health Month.
Here are some oral health tips from Dr. Pokala:
• Tooth decay affects 96% of the population
• Early dental visits by age one help prevent cavities
• Tooth decay in children is 5 times more common than childhood asthma
• Tooth decay is one of the most preventable diseases
• Brushing teeth twice a day with a fluoridated toothpaste
• cleaning between teeth daily with dental floss
• eating a healthy diet that limits sugary beverage and snacks
• seeing your dentist regularly for prevention and treatment of oral disease are the keys to a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums.
• Sealants form a protective barrier that help prevent bacteria from causing tooth decay.
• Mouth guards are an important piece of protective face gear. They cushion blows that might otherwise cause broken teeth, injuries to the lips and face and sometimes jaw fractures.
• Ask your dentist about a custom made mouth guard to protect your child’s smile.