Estimated $1 million in fire damages at Beach Ale House

SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Beach Ale House in Pacific Beach went up in flames early Monday afternoon.

When Zack Brennan and his family smelled smoke, they were not too concerned at first.

Customers at the Pacific Beach Ale House stopped the impromptu sing-along after managers told them it was time to get out.

The blaze at the restaurant and bar on Mission Boulevard began shortly after 3 p.m. Fire investigators said it began in the kitchen in a grease trap.

It quickly grew from there.

A video taken by a bystander shows billowing gray smoke.

Battalion Chief Grace Yamane called a second alarm when it looked like the smoke was continuing to build.

This is not the first fire for restaurant owner, Eric Leitstein.

Fire damaged his Mission Beach nightclub, Cain’s, in 2009.

Employees kept their clam as they evacuated the building.

Although this was a weekday, the Alehouse was crowded with customers like the Brennans, enjoying the President’s Day holiday.

Fire officials said the roof’s big wooden beams posed some of the biggest challenges in fighting the fire.

With the smoke and flames extinguished in less than half an hour, investigators were able to take a closer look at the damage.

The beer lines were damaged and there was damage to the kitchen and other parts of the building.

The estimated cost of damages is approximately $1 million.

Categories: KUSI