Former SDSU fraternity house burns down, displacing 10 people

SAN DIEGO (CNS) – Ten people were displaced when discarded smoking
material sparked a fire at a former fraternity house near San Diego State
University early Wednesday, causing $250,000 in damage, authorities said.

The fire at 5071 College Ave. was reported at 5:12 a.m. and knocked down
about 25 minutes later, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. No
injuries were reported.

The fire was started by smoldering smoking material in a trash can
outside the rear of the house, SDFRD reported, adding that damage was estimated
at $150,000 to the structure, $50,000 to its contents and $50,000 to exterior
things, including two cars.

The house was formerly used by the fraternity Zeta Beta Tau, but is now
a privately owned rental property.

Categories: KUSI