Freeway reopens after apparently suicidal man sits atop overpass for hours

SAN DIEGO (CNS) – Southbound Interstate 805 in the Clairemont Mesa area
was reopened early Wednesday after authorities brought down an apparently suicidal
man who had been perched on a freeway overpass sign for several hours.

The man climbed the exit marker sign on the Balboa Avenue overpass
around 5 p.m. Tuesday, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Traffic was gridlocked for several miles to the north during Tuesday's
evening rush hour as officers detoured southbound traffic single-file off the
freeway north of the bridge. The freeway was reopened about 1:45 a.m., shortly
after the man was brought down.

Through the night, the man was seen sitting, laying and sometimes
standing on the ledge of the sign, estimated to be about four feet wide.

A friend of the man on the ledge told KFMB Channel 8 that the man was in
his 60s, semiretired and lived with his wife in North Park. He has no known
mental health issues, the friend said.

Categories: KUSI