Evacuation orders lifted in OB, Bacon St. will remain closed until further notice
OCEAN BEACH (KUSI) — 8:14 p.m. — SDG&E released the following message regarding the gas leak in Ocean Beach.
"This afternoon, SDG&E crews located the natural gas leak, successfully vented gas that had built up in the sewer mains in the area, and made the area safe. All affected residents have been told they can return to their homes. Crews will be working through the night to replace approximately 80-to-100 feet of the damaged main gas pipeline and hope to be finished by 8 a.m. tomorrow.
"Once the repairs to the pipeline are completed, SDG&E’s Customer Service Field technicians will rebuild the gas meters that have to be reconnected to the new gas main. The technicians also will go to each residence to complete an in-house safety check of all gas appliances and re-light pilot lights. If customers are not home at the time, the technician will leave a notice with contact information to allow customers to schedule an appointment for a safety check and relight at their convenience.
"We appreciate the patience and understanding of our customers throughout this difficult time.
"There is no higher priority than the safety of everyone in the area of the ongoing gas leak including SDG&E crews and other first-responders at the scene when dealing with these kinds of emergencies."
3:22 p.m. — Scores of Ocean Beach residents forced out of their homes overnight by a gas leak were allowed back into the neighborhood Tuesday after utility crews made sure no hazardous fumes remained in or around structures in the area.
Authorities began receiving reports about a strong odor of natural gas around the 1700 block of Bacon Street about 7 p.m. Monday, according to police and San Diego Gas & Electric.
Emergency crews cleared roughly 200 people out of surrounding houses and apartments as utility workers began searching for the source of the problem, the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department reported.
The SDG&E personnel had the leak under control as of shortly before 11 p.m.
The American Red Cross set up a temporary shelter at the Ocean Beach Recreation Center for the evacuees and stationed a food truck for them at the corner of Del Monte Avenue and Bacon Street.
As of late this morning, all but about 75 of the affected residents had been allowed back into their homes, fire department spokesman Lee Swanson said.
All the evacuations were lifted by mid-afternoon.
The cause of the leak remained under investigation.