Historic Henry B. Jones House relocated to Mission Hills
Dani Ruberti was live in Mission Hills to check out the new home of the historic Jones House, recently relocated for zoning and restoration purposes.
Scripps Health has worked with our community for more than eight years trying to find a suitable alternative for the historic Jones House. Over 100 sites were considered for relocation of the house. In 2017, Scripps Health entered into a formal agreement with the Catholic Diocese of San Diego to relocate the house for this purpose.
The Diocese of San Diego had been searching for a home for the priests of St. Vincent de Paul Church in Mission Hills. Scripps has donated the historic, Craftsman-style Jones House to the diocese and has gone through all the necessary steps and permits to prepare for the move.
The Jones House is being relocated because property the house is on is no longer zoned for residential uses and is now zoned for medical office and hospital uses. Scripps Health will move the house in order to complete the hospital master plan at Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego. Scripps will be responsible for the move and exterior renovation of the home. The diocese will be responsible for the interior renovations.
Spared demolition, Henry B. Jones House will be moved from Hillcrest to Mission Hills. The house will be relocated, in one piece, to an empty lot at 4114 Ibis across the street from the St. Vincent de Paul parish located at 4080 Hawk Street. Built in 1911, the two-story, shingle-sided home has been designated as an historical structure by the city of San Diego Historical Resources Board.
The guild said Henry B. Jones was the first president of Hillcrest’s first bank, which was located where Union Bank currently stands at University and Fifth avenues.
Born on March 11, 1850 in Hudson, Wisconsin, Jones was described as “a thrifty and prosperous farmer” who sold his property in 1910 and moved to San Diego, where he became involved in banking and real estate, according to a genealogy book of the Jones family, who had immigrated to the United States from Wales more than 250 years ago.
In 1911, Jones commissioned the construction of this house for his family at the current location, then known as 4040 Hillcrest Drive.
The property changed hands several times, eventually purchased by Scripps Health.
The Jones House “is perhaps the last residence remaining from the original Hillcrest development,” according to the Save Our Heritage Organisation (SOHO) website.
When Scripps Mercy Hospital decided to expand its facilities in 2010, they initially intended to demolish the Jones House. However, community activists came to the rescue and made sure that the city’s Historical Resources Board had accurate information when deciding on historic designation.
In 2011, citing Criterion C and declaring it as an excellent example of the Craftsman style, the Historical Resources Board designated the Henry B. Jones House as Historical Resource #939.
The HHG thanked several members of the San Diego community for helping to make this happen, including Ron May of Legacy 106, SOHO and Scripps Mercy Hospital. And last, the guild saluted Henry B. Jones for his contribution to the early streetcar suburb of Hillcrest, including his family’s Craftsman home.
To read a Nov. 5, 2009 document by the Historical Resources Board regarding the Henry B. Jones House, which includes supporting material from Hillcrest History Guild, visit bit.ly/2p0DBV5.