How to stay safe over the 4th of July weekend
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — Going to the beach and lighting fireworks are two activities that are synonymous with the 4th of July, but lifeguards and San Diego Fire warn of the dangers these activities can bring.
Due to the high volume of people going to the beach during the holiday weekend, San Diego lifeguards are encouraging everyone to stay safe and to follow the rules of the beach.
Fireworks are illegal in the city and county of San Diego. Every year around the Independence Day holiday people are injured, sometimes very seriously, as a result of fireworks. In addition to being very dangerous, they are a fire hazard.
For a list of fireworks shows in the county, visit http://goo.gl/wYed1o.
The San Diego County Sheriff’s Department Stations, Substations and Headquarters will be closed on Tuesday, July 4th in observance of Independence Day. All detention facilities will remain open.
Be aware of road closures and traffic delays caused by Fourth of July fireworks shows in Sheriff’s jurisdictions across San Diego County:
Del Mar/Rancho Santa Fe/Encinitas/Solana Beach
- Expect heavy traffic in and around the San Diego County Fair, especially around Via De La Valle, Del Mar Heights Road and Lomas Santa Fe Drive from 10:00 a.m. to midnight. Parking meters will be enforced in the City of Del Mar with no exception for holidays.
- There will also be road closures during the Rancho Santa Fe Association’s Independence Day Parade and Picnic from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Avoid the areas near Linea Del Cielo, Paseo Delicias, Via De Santa Fe, Avenida De Acacias and La Granada in Downtown Rancho Santa Fe.
- Expect traffic delays and extremely limited parking spots along the beaches of Del Mar, Encinitas and Solana Beach. Pay attention to posted signs, do not obstruct private or public driveways, fire lanes, handicapped parking or cut curbs. Crossing on railroad tracks to access the beach is illegal. Your car can also be towed if you park too close to the train tracks.
- The Imperial Beach Pier will be closed from Monday, July 3rd at 6:00 p.m. through Wednesday, July 5th at 8:00 a.m. for set up and break down of the fireworks show.
- Pay attention to "No Parking" and "Tow Away Zone" signs on 2nd Street between Palm Avenue and Imperial Beach Boulevard, as well as on Seacoast Drive between Palm Avenue and Imperial Beach Boulevard.
- Expect traffic delays between 9:00 p.m. and midnight on July 4th due to the fireworks show in Imperial Beach. Imperial Beach Boulevard, Elm Avenue and Palm Avenue will be impacted. Be aware traffic coming into Imperial Beach from the Silver Strand will be reduced down to one lane.
- Expect delays near Poway High School, located along the 15000 block of Espola Road, between 6:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
- Fireworks display is at Town Center Community Park located at 550 Park Center Drive. Southbound Park Center Drive will be closed and expect delays in the area after the fireworks at 9:30 p.m.
- The following road closures will be in effect near Bringle Terrace Park, located in the 1200 block of Vale Terrace Drive, between 8:00 p.m. and 9:45 p.m:
- Vale Terrace Drive between E. Vista Way and Vale Terrace Place
- Williamston Street between E. Vista Way and Vale Terrace Drive
- Ponderosa Drive at Vale Terrace Drive
- Alta Vista Drive at Vale Terrace Place
- Vale Terrace Place between Alta Vista Drive and Vale Terrace Drive