10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. 2ND KAVANAUGH ACCUSER COMES FORWARD
Deborah Ramirez describes to The New Yorker magazine of an unwanted sexual encounter during the Supreme Court nominee’s first year at Yale.
2. BILL COSBY FACES SENTENCING FOR 2004 SEXUAL ASSAULT
A judge will decide whether to give the 81-year-old comedian as much as 30 years in prison or send him home on probation.
3. TRUMP BEGINS SEQUEL TO STORMY UN DEBUT
The president will again confront the dangers posed by North Korea’s nuclear threat, though its shadow may appear somewhat less ominous than a year ago.
4. SEVERE FLOODING FEARED NEAR SOUTH CAROLINA COAST
Authorities in Georgetown County say they have put as many as 8,000 people on alert for possible evacuations in expectation of up to 10 feet floodwaters this week.
5. IRAN ALLOWING MORE PUBLIC DISSENT
But limits still clearly exist in Iran’s Shiite theocracy and the frustration people feel may not be satiated by complaining alone, AP learns.
6. WHAT IS AN UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE OF TRAFFICKING LAW
Recent crackdowns targeting the sex-for-hire industry on the internet are landing women and girls back on the streets, where dangers also lurk, AP finds.
7. TRUMP TARGETS VENEZUELA’S FOOD CORRUPTION
U.S. officials distributed a list of suspected companies they believe Caracas has used to siphon off millions of dollars in foreign food imports amid widespread starvation.
8. US, CHINA TRADE ROW INTENSIFIES
Responding to U.S. tariff hikes, Beijing begins to collect taxes of 5 or 10 percent on a $60 billion list of 5,207 American goods, from honey to industrial chemicals.
9. SCRABBLE DICTIONARY ADDS WORDS TO OFFICIAL PLAY
It’s time to rethink your game because 300 new words are coming your way, including long-awaited gems like “OK” and “ew.”
10. NEW LIONS COACH BEATS MENTOR
Former Patriots assistant Matt Patricia beats former boss Bill Belichick to get his first win as an NFL head coach in Detroit’s 26-10 win over New England.