10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHAT NO SUPREME COURT NOMINEE HAS DONE
Brett Kavanaugh is interviewed on television, telling Fox News Channel that he never sexually assaulted anyone in high school or at any other time in his life.
2. ‘AMERICA FIRST’ AGENDA FACING NEW SCRUTINY
At the United Nations General Assembly, Trump is set defend his rapprochement with Kim Jong Un and his decision to remove the U.S. from the Iran nuclear accord.
3. UN CHIEF EXPECTED TO PROMOTE GREATER UNITY
Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will spotlight the breakdown of trust around the globe and the need to counter unilateralism and reinvigorate international cooperation.
4. COSBY FACING YEARS IN PRISON
The once-beloved actor and comedian faces anything from probation to 10 years’ incarceration when he’s sentenced for drugging and sexually assaulting a woman in 2005.
5. SOUTH CAROLINA TOWN KEEPS WEARY EYE ON FLOODWATERS
Residents of Georgetown are watching the nearby Sampit River’s rise from Florence’s heavy rains and hoping the rarely flooded town keeps its centuries-long lucky streak alive.
6. UN RUSHES AID TO HUNGER-STRICKEN YEMENI DISTRICT
The world body and independent donors are rushing food to a desperate corner of northern Yemen where the AP found starving villagers living off leaves.
7. WHO STILL HAS A JOB — FOR NOW
After a long weekend spent wondering if he should resign or would be fired, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein will have a meeting with Trump later this week.
8. JAPAN PRESCHOOLS PREPPING TOTS FOR DIGITAL AGE
Hundreds of kindergartens and nursery schools in the country are using smartphone software applications designed especially for preschoolers.
9. HUNGRY BEARS ALARMING CONNECTICUT RESIDENTS
In recent months, black bears have shredded a car’s interior, wandered into a liquor store, taken a dip in a hot tub and even woken residents in their own bedrooms.
10. STEELERS HOLD OFF BUCS FOR FIRST WIN
Ben Roethlisberger throws for 353 yards and three touchdowns as Pittsburgh edged Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tampa Bay 30-27.