10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. ETHIOPIA, CHINA GROUND BOEING JETS AMID GLOBAL MOURNING
Ethiopian Airlines grounds all of its Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft and Chinese aviation officials do the same the day after a crash in Addis Ababa killed all 157 on board.
2. ‘I DIDN’T EXPECT THAT TODAY WILL BE MY FREEDOM DAY’
An Indonesian woman has been freed after a Malaysian judge threw out the murder charge against her in the killing of the Kim Jong Un’s half brother.
3. TRUMP REVIVES BORDER WALL FIGHT
The president is preparing a new budget that will seek $8.6 billion for his signature project and impose steep spending cuts to other domestic programs.
4. WHERE THERE’S A RESPITE AND HOPE
For the first time in years, Iraq is not at war. The defeat of the Islamic State group after a ruinous four-year conflict gives Baghdad a moment of peace.
5. INDICTMENTS SPOTLIGHT PRISON REHAB SCAMS
Federal prosecutors say charges in Connecticut expose shady dealings in the largely unregulated industry of “prison consultants.”
6. WHERE SOME 2020 DEMOCRATIC HOPEFULS ARE SPENDING TIME
They’re in America’s small towns to become better-versed on rural issues and compete for votes in places that supported Trump heavily in 2016.
7. COLORADO OIL AND GAS BATTLE BOILS OVER
Frustrated residents of a Denver suburb are launching legal challenges to a state law that is forcing them to participate in an oil and gas drilling project against their wishes.
8. FED CHAIR PREACHES ‘PATIENCE’ WITH MONETARY POLICY
Jerome Powell says the central bank halted rate hikes in January because the global economy was slowing and other risks to the U.S. economy were rising.
9. ALLRED: TAPE APPEARS TO SHOW R. KELLY SEXUALLY ABUSING GIRLS
Attorney Gloria Allred says a client has turned a tape over to law enforcement that appears to feature the R&B singer sexually abusing underage girls.
10. AB GETS HIS WISH
The Steelers have an agreement to trade the prolific wide receiver Antonio Brown to the Raiders, the culmination of a messy and public divorce.