Authorities in search of inmate who left halfway house
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Authorities are searching for an inmate who walked away from a Los Angeles halfway house.
The Los Angeles Daily News reports the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation says officials conducted an emergency search Saturday after discovering Richard T. Tarin, a resident at the Male Community Re-entry Program facility, removed his electronic monitoring device.
Tarin began serving a five-year, eight-month sentence in November 2013 for driving under the influence of alcohol and causing great bodily injury.
Tarin was transferred to the facility earlier this month and was scheduled to be released on parole in November.
The corrections department says 99 percent of offenders who left an adult institution, camp or community-based program without permission since 1977 have been apprehended.