Authorities order evacuations in Santa Barbara County

SANTA BARBARA , Calif. (AP) — The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office is ordering residents in several areas previously hit by wildfires to evacuate ahead of a new storm.

Residents of debris flow risk areas below the Thomas, Whittier and Sherpa fire burn scars have been told to leave their homes by 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Sheriff Bill Brown told a press conference Monday afternoon that the storm is expected to be more intense than the last several storms.

A map published by the county Office of Emergency Management indicates that much of Montecito is at risk. A deadly debris flow from the Thomas fire scar devastated Montecito in January 2018.

Categories: California News