Buddhist temple destroyed in fire caused by altar

GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a Buddhist temple in Southern California has been destroyed after a front porch altar with candles accidentally set the building ablaze.

Garden Grove fire Capt. Thanh Nguyen says no one was injured in the fire that broke out late Tuesday in a house that had been converted to a temple.

He says two people sleeping inside got out safely after they were awakened by a smoke alarm and a neighbor. He says no worshippers were there.

Nguyen says the fire was determined to be an accident caused by lit candles on the porch altar. Authorities are urging people not leave candles burning when they leave home or go to bed.

The fire came at the start of the Lunar New Year.

Nguyen says damages are estimated at $450,000.

Categories: California News