Chemical spill forces suburban Chicago residents indoors

BEACH PARK, Ill. (AP) — Authorities are urging residents in a suburban Chicago community to stay indoors with their windows closed following a chemical spill that resulted in a toxic gas cloud.

The Lake County Sheriff’s Office reported the hazardous material spill just before 5 a.m. Thursday in Beach Park, saying the spill has created “a dangerous chemical cloud” in a 1-mile radius of Green Bay Road and 29th Street in the north suburban community.

The sheriff’s department says the spill appears to be anhydrous ammonia.

Residents are being urged to stay inside with their windows closed while hazardous materials crews respond to the spill.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says anhydrous ammonia is a colorless gas that can cause breathing difficulties, burns, blisters and can be fatal in high concentrations.

Categories: National & International News