Family sues Walgreens for $525M over fatal shooting

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The family of a man shot to death inside a Hollywood Walgreens is suing the company for more than $500 million.

KCBS-TV reports an armed security guard killed Jonathan Hart last week, claiming Hart was shoplifting and then shoved him. But the family’s attorney, Carl Douglas, contends that Hart was targeted.

Douglas announced the $525 million lawsuit on Tuesday. He called the shooting a civil rights violation and urged a boycott of Walgreens.

Douglas also demanded that Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey charge the guard, who hasn’t been publicly identified.

Walgreens says it has terminated the security company that supplied the guard and is cooperating in the police investigation into the shooting.

The company also says it’s extended condolences to Hart’s family.

___

Information from: KCBS-TV, http://www.cbs2.com/

Categories: California News