Fish fumes could have sparked boy’s fatal allergic reaction

NEW YORK (AP) — Medical authorities say fumes from fish cooking in his grandmother’s kitchen may have caused an allergic reaction that killed an 11-year-old boy in New York City.

The city medical examiner’s office is investigating the New Year’s Day death of Cameron Jean-Pierre in Brooklyn.

The boy’s father, Steven Jean-Pierre, says Cameron suffered from asthma and was allergic to fish, and that the family carried a nebulizer machine to treat attacks.

Cameron and his father were visiting relatives when the boy was stricken, apparently after inhaling aromas from a traditional Caribbean fish dish that his grandmother and aunt were cooking.

Steven Jean-Pierre said Friday that he used the nebulizer but for some reason the treatment did not work.

Allergy experts say a severe allergic reaction from smelling fumes is possible but rare.

Categories: National & International News