Latest: Suspect in shooting during LA house fire has injury

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Latest on a shooting following a house fire south of downtown Los Angeles (all times local):

7:35 a.m.

Police say a suspect who opened fire, killing one person, after a house fire in Los Angeles appears to have suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Los Angeles police say the suspect was taken into custody after holing himself up Tuesday morning for two hours inside the burned home.

Police said one person had been killed but provided no additional details.

Firefighters were first called to the home in the Harbor Gateway neighborhood before dawn and reported hearing gunshots after knocking down the flames.

Police and sheriff’s deputies had set up a perimeter and evacuated nearby homes.

___

7:05 a.m.

Los Angeles authorities say one person was fatally shot at the scene of a house fire and a suspect is in custody after holing himself up for two hours inside the burned home.

Police Officer Chris No confirmed one fatality in the shooting early Tuesday but didn’t know whether the victim is a man or woman.

The Fire Department says crews heard gunshots after knocking down the flames before dawn south of downtown Los Angeles.

The gunman was taken into custody shortly before 7 a.m. Several homes in the Harbor Gateway neighborhood were evacuated as police set up a perimeter.

There are no reports of injuries to firefighters or police officers.

___

6:30 a.m.

Authorities say a suspect fired a weapon at the scene of a house fire south of downtown Los Angeles.

The Fire Department says crews heard gunshots after dousing the flames in the Harbor Gateway neighborhood early Tuesday.

Officials say the suspect then holed up inside a home. Police and sheriff’s deputies have set up a perimeter and evacuated nearby homes.

Authorities have not confirmed if anyone is hurt.

Categories: California News