Ohio governor, Dayton mayor pledge bipartisan effort
DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — The Latest on the mass shooting Aug. 4 in Dayton, Ohio (all times local):
Ohio’s Republican governor and Dayton’s Democratic mayor are pledging a bipartisan effort for recovery and gun ownership reforms in the aftermath of the nation’s latest mass shooting.
Mike DeWine and Nan Whaley on Thursday visited the downtown entertainment district where a gunman killed nine people early Sunday. They publicly discussed a mental health initiative earlier in the day.
Mayor Whaley says she’s pleased about how the community is coming together in a nonpartisan way. She is urging people to donate to a recovery fund, lobby their legislators for gun control measures and spend money in the Oregon district.
DeWine on Tuesday announced a package of proposals on background checks, reacting to potential threats and more.
There was no new information Thursday on investigations into motives of the gunman, who was killed by police.
A bouncer says he was determined to block the Ohio gunman from entering his bar in Dayton’s entertainment district.
Jeremy Ganger (GAYN’-jur) vividly remembers the gunman’s “dead stare” as he advanced toward Ned Peppers early Sunday. Twenty-four-year-old Connor Betts’ rampage with an assault-style gun killed nine people and wounded dozens more.
Ganger told ABC News he “would’ve died” before allowing the gunman in. Police fatally shot Betts within 30 seconds of when he started shooting.
Video shows Ganger holding the front door open and pulling people inside. He told them to “get inside, get down!” He says he was “grabbing them as fast as I could.”
Authorities have said that hundreds more likely would’ve died had Betts entered the packed establishment.
He got a piece of shrapnel in his leg