Paraplegic man sues, says Avenatti kept settlement money
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — A paraplegic man previously represented by Michael Avenatti has filed a lawsuit alleging the embattled lawyer didn’t pay him millions he was due in a settlement with Los Angeles County.
Geoffrey Johnson filed the lawsuit Tuesday accusing Avenatti and his former associates of neglecting to pay him after the county cut a $4 million check in 2015 in a settlement over injuries suffered in Sheriff’s Department custody.
Johnson’s lawyer says Avenatti told him he would be paid once a trust had been established and instead sent him monthly checks of $900 to $1,900 to purportedly front him some money.
Johnson says he learned he was duped when Avenatti was charged with bank and wire fraud.
Avenatti pleaded not guilty in that case and says the lawsuit allegations are false.