Pompeo denies US trying to cover up Khashoggi killing
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration is pushing back against allegations that it was trying to cover up the killing of Saudi columnist Jamal Khashoggi by failing to determine in a report sent to Congress who was responsible for the death.
Talking to reporters in Hungary, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo pointedly said: “America is not covering up for a murder.”
Late last year, senators triggered investigations into whether Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was responsible for the Oct. 2 death. Pompeo sent a response to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee last week, but it did not assess whether the crown prince was responsible.
Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia said that amounts to “aiding in the cover-up of a murder.” He said Congress will continue to hold Saudi Arabia responsible.