The Latest: 3 homes destroyed by California wildfire
REDDING, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on a Northern California wildfire (all times local):
A Northern California wildfire has destroyed three residences but firefighters report progress in preventing further growth of the blaze.
Cal Fire says ongoing assessments show four outbuildings have also been destroyed and one unspecified structure was damaged by the 600-acre (243-hectare) blaze in a rural area north of Redding.
Containment is 40 percent Friday morning.
The Mountain Fire erupted Thursday and was rapidly spread by wind. The Shasta County Sheriff’s Office said more than 1,100 homes and other structures were threatened and evacuations were ordered for nearly 3,900 people.
Evacuations and road closures were lifted in some areas Thursday night, and it’s not immediately clear how many people remain affected.
The fire is burning not far from last year’s Carr Fire, which destroyed more than 1,000 homes in Shasta and Trinity counties and killed eight people, including three firefighters
Firefighters have increased containment of a Northern California wildfire that has threatened thousands of homes and forced evacuations.
Cal Fire says the fire in a rural area northwest of the city of Redding remains at 600 acres (243 hectares) Friday morning but containment doubled overnight to 40 percent.
The blaze erupted Thursday and was rapidly spread by winds through grass, brush and trees in the region about 200 miles (322 kilometers) north of San Francisco.
One structure has been reported destroyed.