The Latest: Mom says no signs warned teens of danger
DIXON, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on two teenagers who were fatally electrocuted in an irrigation canal (all times local):
The mother of one of two teenagers electrocuted when they went into a Northern California irrigation canal to save a dog says there should have been signs warning of the danger.
Candy Carrillo told The Sacramento Bee on Tuesday that her 17-year-old son, Jacob Hourmouzus, was riding four-wheel vehicles with friends near an orchard in Dixon, California, on Monday when he and another teen tried to save the dog.
She says a strong current began to pull them downstream. They reached out to grab a bridge or gate, not knowing that for some reason it was electrified.
Both were pronounced dead at the scene. The other boy’s name has not been released.
Carrillo, fighting back tears, said there should have been warning signs posted.
Authorities in California say two teenage boys were electrocuted while trying to rescue a dog from an irrigation canal at an orchard.
KTXL-TV reports the Solano County sheriff’s office says that when they walked into a canal Monday in Dixon to save the dog, one of the boys touched a nearby electrified gate.
The California Highway Patrol says first responders found the teens in a nearby field. It is unclear who pulled them from the water.
The boys were taken to a hospital where they died. Their names have not been released.
Dixon High School Principal Stephanie Marquez says they were students of the school and that counseling services will be available for their classmates Tuesday.
The sheriff’s office says the dog survived.
Information from: The Sacramento Bee, http://www.sacbee.com