Trial of suspect in 2010 death of police officer begins
CHICAGO (AP) — Trial has begun for a man accused of fatally shooting an off-duty Chicago police officer during a 2010 attempted robbery.
Assistant State’s Attorney Jennifer Keating said during opening statements Tuesday that Anton Carter tried to steal Officer Michael Bailey’s new car. Keating says Carter’s actions sparked a shootout in which the 62-year-old Bailey was shot three times.
Keating alleges that after the shooting, the 32-year-old Carter bragged about what he did.
Cook County Circuit Judge Stanley Sacks previously ruled prosecutors can call jailhouse informants as witnesses in the murder trial. The informants allege Carter confessed to them in separate conversations after he was sent to prison on a parole violation about two months after the shooting.
Assistant Public Defender Ed Koziboski told jurors Carter’s talk amounted to nothing but bluster.