Local pharmacies prepared to begin administering COVID-19 booster shots
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Vons, Albertsons, and Pavilions pharmacies now offer walk-in COVID-19 booster shots, initial COVID-19 vaccines, and flu shots — with no appointment necessary.
Simon To, Patient Care Services Pharmacist from Albertsons Vons Pavilions, joined KUSI’s Logan Byrnes on Good Evening San Diego to discuss the requirements needed to receive a Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 booster shot.
The booster shot is strictly for those who have received the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine with the second dose at least 6 months before.
These individuals are eligible as long as they have received the Pfizer vaccine.
• Individuals 65 years of age and older;
• Residents of long-term care facilities;
• Individuals 50 through 64 years of age with underlying medical conditions;
• Individuals 18 through 49 years of age with underlying medical conditions based on individual benefit or risk.
• Underlying medical conditions may include, but are not limited to:
• Cancer, cerebrovascular disease, chronic kidney disease, COPD, diabetes, heart conditions, obesity (BMI>30), smoking
• Risks may include allergic reaction, myocarditis/pericarditis, reactogenicity
• Individuals 18 through 64 years of age who are in an occupational or institutional setting where the burden of COVID-19 infection and risk of transmission are high based on individual benefit or risk.
• While settings that fall into this category are not defined at this time, examples might include, but are not limited to: front line health care providers, nursing home staff, workers in prisons and homeless shelters, caregivers and teachers.