Three London Bridge attack suspects identified

LONDON (KUSI) — All three of the men who drove a van into a crowd of pedestrians on the London Bridge before abandoning their vehicle and stabbing people at restaurants and bars in the heart of London.

Youssef Zaghba, 22, an Italian national of Moroccan decent was named as the third assailant killed by police officers minutes after the men began stabbing people with large knives in the Borough market. The attack was being investigated as an act of terrorism. 

The other two attackers were identified Monday as Khuram Shazad Butt, a 27 year-old British citizen born in Pakistan, and Rashid Redouane, who claimed Libyan and Moroccan nationality.

Zaghba had been placed on an Italian watch list in 2016 and British and Moroccan authorities were alerted. A British government official told the Associated Press 

Seven people were killed and 48 people were injured in the attack, including two police officers. Twenty-one people remain in critical condition Sunday.

It took police a total of eight minutes after arriving on-scene to identify the attackers and shoot them down. Eight officers unloaded 50 rounds, according to counter-terrorism officer Assistant Commander Mark Rowley. One civilian was also struck by officer gunfire. 

"The investigation is progressing at pace, and officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, the National Counter Terrorism Policing network are working relentlessly with UK intelligence partners to piece together exactly what occurred," Rowley said.

Butt and Redouane were residents of a neighborhood east of London, which was the site of several police raids after the attack Saturday. Eleven people were in police custody Monday for possible connections. 

The Islamic State was claiming responsibility, but the attackers’ connection to the group had not been confirmed by investigators. It was the third British attack claimed by the terrorist group this year and took place just weeks after a suicide bomber detonated an explosive device in a crowd of concert-goers in Manchester. Twenty-two people were killed.  

Despite the London Bridge attack — which occurred on the same day as a scheduled benefit concert for victims of the previous Manchester attack — Grande and several other pop musicians took the stage Sunday

San Diego police heightened security at the 20th annual "Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon" Sunday in light of the recent terror attack in London. 

Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman sought to reassure residents Sunday. 

"There is no credible threat/nexus from situation in London to San Diego,” Zimmerman tweeted. "As always the San Diego PD asks you to stay vigilant. Prayers to London."

Categories: Local San Diego News