Man pleads not guilty to 2019 home invasion slaying of Rose Donuts owner
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A man who allegedly killed Rose Donuts owner Randy Taing in the victim’s Clairemont Mesa home two years ago pleaded not guilty Tuesday to murder, burglary and grand theft charges.
Los Angeles resident Keon Wilson, 34, was arrested last month in connection with the ultimately fatal April 5, 2019, attack on the 58-year-old Taing. At about 11:45 a.m. that day, Taing’s son called 911 to report that his 58-year-old father had phoned him at work and told him there had been “some type of theft or robbery” at the victim’s home, San Diego Police Department Lt. Andra Brown said.
The son then drove to his father’s residence and found him gravely injured. Paramedics took the victim to a hospital, where he remained in intensive care for three days before he died.
Taing’s cause of death has not been released, but police said he was found “suffering from apparent trauma to his upper body.”
While documenting the scene of the fatal assault, investigators discovered that a safe was missing from the home.
Investigators said Wilson was a suspect in two other San Diego County residential burglaries, one in Carlsbad and another in Poway.
The criminal complaint charges Wilson with burglaries on Feb. 12 and April 24, 2019, though the exact locations of those incidents was not disclosed.
Wilson remains in custody without bail.