Mayor set to unveil budget proposal

SAN DIEGO (CNS) – A nearly $3 billion spending plan for the upcoming
fiscal year in the city of San Diego is scheduled to be unveiled Monday by Mayor
Kevin Faulconer.

The $2.97 billion budget proposal will be presented on Tuesday to the
City Council, which in the next couple of months will vet the spending planned
for the various departments. The council will need to sign off on the budget in
June, and it would take effect July 1.

Last week, Faulconer said nearly $300 million will be spent on capital
projects, which the mayor's office says is a 66 percent increase from this
year.

“This money is going toward street and sidewalk repairs, parks
improvements, streetlights, fire stations and the maintenance of storm drains
and facilities in every corner of the city,” Faulconer said. “I'm making good
on my promise to put infrastructure among the top priorities in our city budget
right now and for years to come.”

Faulconer plans to spend at least half of revenue growth to whittle down
the infrastructure backlog, which has a total estimated cost of more than $1
billion. City officials are in the midst of conducting condition assessments on
roads, sidewalks and city facilities to get a better grip on how much
everything will cost.

The infrastructure plans have the backing of City Council President Todd
Gloria, who also heads the panel's Budget Committee, and Councilman Mark
Kersey, who chairs the Infrastructure Committee.

The budget will also fund more firefighter academies and, while the
number of police academies remains the same, more trainee officers will go
through them.

The city will also pay for homeless shelters, but only during the cold
weather months. Faulconer and Gloria want to start shifting the dollars into
programs proven to be more effective in actually solving the homeless problem.

Categories: KUSI