MythBusters: The Explosive Exhibition comes to Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
The Discovery Channel’s Emmy®-nominated series comes to life to uncover truths behind popular myths by mixing scientific method with gleeful curiosity and old-fashioned ingenuity in MythBusters: The Explosive Exhibition, which makes its way to the Fleet Science Center in February, 2018.
Does toast always land butter-side down? Can you really pull a tablecloth off of a fully set table without disturbing a dish? In MythBusters: The Explosive Exhibition, visitors learn about myths, the MythBusters themselves and what experimenting is all about by participating in a series of fun, hands-on experiences and live demonstrations. Experiments cover topics such as flight, friction, gravity, speed and combustion.
The first part of the exhibition visitors encounter is the Blueprint Room. The Blueprint Room is based on the real-life operations room of the MythBusters’ iconic set. This room acts as an introduction to MythBusting and is filled with gadgets, props, video and, of course, blueprints used by the hosts to explore myths on the show.
Following the Blueprint Room is the Workshop. The Workshop is the place where guests turn into investigators and use real science to test myths. In this room, visitors can test over a dozen topics expanding upon the myths seen on MythBusters, such as:
• Airplane on a Conveyor Belt. This myth explores how an airplane can take off in one direction while it’s on a conveyor belt that is moving in the opposite direction at the same speed.
• Butter Side Up. Does it always seem that a dropped piece of toast lands butter side down? Find out if this is always the case!
• Big Bad Wolf. Does the fairy tale tell the truth? Do bricks really hold better than straw?
• Running in the Rain. Test if running or walking in the rain really keeps you drier.
• Tablecloth Chaos. Find the correct angle and speed to pull a tablecloth from under the place setting without disturbing a dish.
In addition to individual experimentation, guests can visit the Live Demonstration Stage to view and participate in science demonstrations that explore different myths, with the help of a team of energetic MythBusting facilitators.
“MythBusters: The Explosive Exhibition challenges learners of all ages to use scientific methods to expose the truth behind their favorite myths,” said Steve Snyder, CEO of the Fleet Science Center. “In their quest for truth at the Fleet Science Center, visitors will engage with hands-on, interactive experiments and become scientists to test their curiosity-driven hypotheses with inventive-and out-of-the-box-methods.”
MythBusters: The Explosive Exhibition will be at the Fleet Science Center from February 24, 2018, through September 3, 2018. For more information, visit www.fleetscience.org.