No trolley issues despite security contractor employee walkout
SAN DIEGO (CNS) – The Metropolitan Transit System had enough guards at
its stations and aboard trolleys Thursday despite a walkout by employees of its
security contractor, an MTS official said.
No trolley delays were expected in the evening commute, expected to be
busier than usual because of the Chargers football game against the Raiders at
Qualcomm Stadium, said Rob Schupp of the MTS.
About 200 members of the International Union of Security, Police and
Fire Professionals said in a statement they planned to strike today. A call to
a union official was not returned.
The workers filed a claim against the contractor, Transit Systems
Security, and the MTS with the National Labor Relations Board.
The guards joined the union last year and have been negotiating their
first contract with the company. Their complaints include low wages, no sick or
holiday pay, and a requirement that they purchase their uniforms.
TSS had planned to call in workers from an affiliated firm to staff the
trolley guard positions in the event of a walkout.