Not guilty plea from San Carlos woman accused of fatally shooting husband, teenage daughter

SAN DIEGO (CNS) – A San Carlos woman accused of fatally shooting her
husband and 14-year-old daughter in their condominium and staying with the
bodies for three days before reporting the deaths pleaded not guilty Wednesday to
murder and weapons charges and was ordered held without bail.

Regina Renee Johnson, 55, cried out “mama” as she was led out of the
courtroom by sheriff's deputies.

Johnson is accused in last week's slaying of 56-year-old Reuben Johnson,
who was retired from the Navy and working as a security guard, and Aaliyah
Johnson, a freshman at West Hills High School.

The defendant faces 100 years to life in prison if convicted, said
Deputy District Attorney Claudine Ruiz.

She said the defendant called family members out-of-state, informing
them that her husband and daughter were dead, and they relayed the information
to the San Diego Police Department. Officers sent to the Johnson condominium
about 1:30 a.m. Saturday found Reuben Johnson's body in an upstairs hallway and
his daughter face-down in her bedroom, Ruiz said.

Both had been shot in the head, and Reuben Johnson also had a gunshot
wound to the upper body, according to the prosecutor, who said both bodies were
in a state of decomposition when discovered.

A 9 mm handgun registered to Reuben Johnson was found in the residence,
the prosecutor said.

The slayings could have been committed as early as May 30, three days
before the gruesome discoveries, Ruiz said.

A motive was not revealed, but Regina Johnson reportedly had lost her
financial services job recently. Investigators said there were no previous
reports of violence in the Johnson family, and the defendant had no criminal
record.

A status conference is set for June 13 and a preliminary hearing for
June 19.

Categories: KUSI