One injured in explosion, fire at RB restaurant

SAN DIEGO (CNS) – A man suffered apparently minor burns Tuesday when natural gas burst into a flash fire as he was trying to light a grill at a Rancho Bernardo restaurant.

The small explosion at Bernard’O Restaurant in the 12400 block of Rancho Bernardo Road was reported shortly before 11:30 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

An automatic sprinkler system extinguished the resulting flames prior to the arrival of emergency crews, SDFRD spokesman Lee Swanson said.

Medics took the victim to a hospital for treatment of burns to his hands. No other injuries were reported.

The county Health Department and state Division of Occupational Safety and Health were called in to investigate, Swanson said.

Categories: KUSI