Police investigating set of fires in North Park and Hillcrest
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Eight fires were set around North Park and Hillcrest Monday morning and are being investigated as arson, according to police.
Two pickup trucks went up in flames Monday when the debris in the beds of their trucks caught fire near Boundary Street and Lincoln Avenue. It is estimated that the fire caused $6,000 in damage, San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Lee Swanson said.
Less than two miles away, on Essex Street near Herbert Street, a garage caught fire about 7 a.m. Nearby on University Avenue, dumpsters or trash cans were set on fire. One occurred near 10th Avenue and one on Herbert Street, Swanson said.
In all, fires were set at the following locations:
- Pickup truck set on fire, which sparked 2 fires at Boundary, between Lincoln and Polk
- Dumpster set fire at Herbert and University
- Garage fire at 3794 Herbert
- 2 dumpsters set fire at 1000 University
- Dumpster fire at 1090 University
- Dumpster fire in alley at 1727 University
It is not clear if the fires were set by the same person, but police are investigating.