Investigation under way for La Mesa dog poisoning

LA MESA (CNS) – An investigation was under way Monday into the apparent poisoning of a dog who consumed meatballs believed to have been laced strychnine in La Mesa, police said Monday.

Oreo, a 9-year-old terrier-beagle mix, is conscious and responsive, said Lt. David Bond of the La Mesa Police Department.

Toxicology results are expected to confirm suspicions by veterinarians that the dog consumed strychnine, Bond said, adding that the initial diagnosis was based on Oreo's symptoms.

Oreo was taken to a pet hospital Friday and put on a ventilator the next day.

He belongs to a Nagel Street family that has two other dogs. The owners reportedly found six meatballs in the backyard.

Categories: KUSI