Two dead, two injured in National City shooting

NATIONAL CITY (KUSI) —  A standoff between National City police and an armed homicide suspect barricaded in a home ended after over eight hours Saturday afternoon, as officials asked residents and anyone else to remain clear of the area.

Two people were killed Saturday morning, and two others were injured, prompting evacuation orders for neighboring homes.

Officers responded at about 9:30 a.m. to the 1000 block of East Eighth Street and immediately called for back-up from Chula Vista police, the California Highway Patrol and the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department, according to a dispatcher with the National City Police Department.

“As officers arrived, they found one male suffering from a gunshot wound to his upper torso. This injured male was rushed to the hospital for treatment,” Hernandez said. “A second unresponsive male was located nearby with an apparent gunshot wound. Officers pulled the male to a safer location in attempts to render first aid, but declared the male dead at the scene.”

The victim who was taken to a hospital told officers that two other men were still inside the apartment and may have been seriously injured while being possibly armed with weapons, according to Hernandez.

National City Police have asked residents from 8th & Highland to 8th & M St to shelter in place during the standoff.

“Please be aware of active homicide investigation with barricaded person in the 900-1000 block of East Eighth Street,” according to a tweet by the NCPD. “Instructions: Please evacuate if possible.”

East Eighth Street and some surrounding streets were blocked off and a SWAT team has a duplex surrounded, according to Officer Thomas Wilkins of the NCPD. The person barricaded in the home is believed to be a male.

The number of responding officers was “too numerous to count,” the dispatcher said. “We’re just trying to get a handle on the situation.”

Several ambulances were also sent to the area in response to the shooting.

The identities of the victims have not yet been released, pending completion of the investigation.

This is a developing story. KUSI will have the latest updates.

Categories: Local San Diego News