Police search for freeway shooting suspect

SAN DIEGO (CNS) – Authorities are searching for a “person of
interest” believed to be armed and dangerous in connection with an apparent
shooting spree on two San Diego freeways that left one motorist wounded.

Four shootings on Interstate 805 and Interstate 5 were reported within
about 20 minutes late Monday morning. According to the California Highway
Patrol, the shots were fired from a white 2006 Chevy Malibu registered to
Enrique Ayon, out of Lancaster in northern Los Angeles County.

The 24-year-old Ayon — described as Latino, 5 feet 8 and 190 pounds —
was being sought as a “person of interest,” according to the CHP, which
described him as armed and dangerous.

A description of Ayon's car and its license plate, 5POM917, were posted
on electronic signs on major freeways early today.

San Diego police Lt. Darryl Hoover said the Malibu, carrying at least
two men, had been involved in a hit-and-run collision on East San Ysidro
Boulevard shortly before the shooting spree began about 10:30 a.m. on
northbound Interstate 805, near East Plaza Boulevard in National City. At least
one bullet hit a car in that assault, though no one was hurt.

A short time later, a shooting on Interstate 805 at Mesa College Drive
wounded a 26-year-old man, Hoover said. Medics took him to a hospital for
treatment of a non-life-threatening calf wound.

Within the next 15 or so minutes, gunfire again erupted on Interstate
805 near state Route 163, where a CHP officer was assisting a motorist, and on
northbound Interstate 5 in the area of Del Mar Heights Road, according to
Hoover. An ambulance apparently was targeted in the latter shooting, he said.
No one was injured in those attacks.

“At this time, we have no information about any words being
exchanged,” Hoover said. “As we know at this time, it's just a stranger-on-
stranger (crime).”

Categories: KUSI