Update: Man holed up in Otay Mesa house surrenders to police

OTAY MESA (KUSI) — An apparently distraught man who ransacked his Otay Mesa home Monday and made threats about shooting himself or police, prompted a standoff that ended when he surrendered hours later.

A resident of the 4000 block of Coldwell Lane made an emergency call shortly after 1 p.m. to report that a neighbor had been smashing things in his
own home, claimed to have a gun and shouted that he "wasn’t afraid to use it” on himself or law enforcement personnel, according to San Diego police.

Administrators at nearby Juarez Lincoln Elementary School put the campus on lockdown as a precaution while officers went to the seemingly suicidal man’s home, SDPD spokesman Luis Roman said.

The suspect, a man in his 50s whose name was not released, spoke to the officers over the telephone but refused to immediately exit his home.

Shortly after 4 p.m., students at the primary school just to the east of the house were released to their parents.

About 15 minutes later, the suspect exited his house empty-handed and was taken into custody, Roman said. It was not immediately clear if he would face criminal charges over the episode.

Categories: Local San Diego News