Poway gas leak fire causes power outage

SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Some 1,500 residents of Poway lost power today after a fire burned down a garage and officials cut power to the area, city officials said.

The fire took place about 1:15 p.m. in the 13000 block of Silver Saddle Lane, the Poway Fire Department said.

Poway fire Battalion Chief Ray Fried told reporters that neighbors heard a hiss followed by an explosion which led them to call 911. Fire crews then found an exterior fire that looked to be gas fed and the source of the fire.

That discovery led San Diego Gas & Electric to cut gas and electricity to 1,500 nearby homes in order to make repairs. Power was restored to the customers by late afternoon, city officials said.

No injuries were reported and one family near the fire had to be evacuated, fire officials said.

Categories: Local San Diego News